Thursday, December 26, 2013

Jokes on Me

The Joke's on Me by Wayne Dixon It was a five hour drive from Fresno to Banning California that winter’s day. We were headed to their Grandmother’s house for Christmas in our Volkswagen Bug, and I was not too happy with the large package our daughters insisted on bringing along. “It’s your Christmas present,” they said, a sure-fire way to obligate me to bring it along. “OK,” I consented, but it has to ride in the back seat with you two. I could barely see around it as I complained all the way to Grandma’s house. I was hooked, however by my curiosity as to what could be in this large oblong box. Could it be a telescope, I wondered. What else could it be? I mused. I could hardly wait for Christmas morn to find out. My turn finally came as we went round robin opening our gifts one at a time. I tore off the paper and finally opened the box with anticipation only to find another box inside, and then another, and another. As the boxes got smaller and smaller I shifted my guesswork to a wristwatch as the final outcome. Boy, was I disappointed to open that last package to find what? Can you guess? A rock. A plain old rock, not even a special gem of a rock. I can’t remember my real present that year, but I do remember my daughters’ peals of laughter as the joke was on me! Other times followed, as my junior high students played a tricks on me. One time they all dropped their books on the floor at a prearranged signal and waited for my reaction. I joined in and dropped my book as well. “I saw that TV show last night, “ I said, “Wasn’t that fun?” Now the joke was on them, ha, ha. One morning at school I heard a student say outside the door to her friend, “Mr. Dixon will faint when he finds out I finished my science project.” So I obliged as she brought in her project. I fell to the floor pretending to faint. Turn-about is fair play I told her, reassuring her I was alright. I’m mellower now, so when our gym instructor said I was doing a good job, I took it as a compliment. She had offered me a mini-candy bar from her Easter basket, and said, “Take an extra one for your wife.” “She won’t eat it,” I said as I helped myself to a second, adding, “I have to eat for two these days.” She looked me over in my wet bathing suit and said, “You’re doing a good job!” Another ha ha on me, I thought. That’s not as bad as at the hardware store when the clerk at checkout challenged my credit card. I had bought some plants for our front yard where Jean had cleared some room, and when I handed over my card I was asked, “Is this your card?” Indignantly, I pointed to my picture on the face of the card. “That’s me, right there,” I insisted. “Are you sure, “ she said, adding “I thought it was your son!” Ha ha? At the gym again, a former student from long ago recognized me. “What is your name,” I asked. “Sylvia,” she replied. I thought back to the student who hit me on the head with a pink eraser. She didn’t remember that, she said, and now she was working at my old school as a teacher’s aide. She complained about the behavior of her students, and I said, “It’s payback time, Sylvia.” I gave her an invitation to our presentation at Woodward Park Library. She enthusiastically offered to invite everyone who remembered me to come. That should be interesting, don’t you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment